Exhale yay!

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 | |

I think I am finally nearing the end of the death trap of work that has been this trip thus far for me : )

Our show is Friday which means the majority of our work is done! Tomorrow I shall tun in my piece for the show and my Art History paper and all will be well! I'm really feeling like a huge weight has been lifted and I can finally get to enjoying the trip!

I don't have any cool pictures to post due to technical difficulties as usual, but I do have a great link for you:

http://www.youtube.com/user/NikuInMeatspace#p/u/3/6taZcZXe4fk

This is my friend Hannah's Youtube channel. She's done some awesome (and hilarious) video blogs of our journey so far. I would recommend Revenge of The Italian Cigar because you get to go on a walk through Cortona! Thanks Hannah for being awesome and posting cool videos!

So now that I have regular access to the internet again (for now) I was able to catch up a bit on some of my favorite blogs, over half of which are food-related. I ran across this post on one of my faves, sprouted kitchen. As I've mentioned before I think this trip is coming at an opportune time for me, as I sit at a crossroads of school ending for good and whatever happens next. It freaks me out, but I'm not scared, just concerned about choosing the wrong thing. For my last book project which I turned in today (yay more weight off the shoulders!) I wanted to encompass the two sides I feel tugging at me when it comes to my future. I have dealt with the idea of duality a lot in my artwork, so this was something that went along with that and that I really wanted to tackle and create in a visual form. The more I sat with thinking about my future the more I realized that I don't have a good grasp on how I feel about it, what I want from it or what I'm planning to do with it. I started thinking about my teachers: all this summer we have had faculty presentations once a week where teachers on this program present their own work and give us a little autobio of their artistic life. After seeing several of these presentations I am coming to realize that absolutely none of these people took an even remotely straight path to where they are today, and over half of them thought they didn't want to be where they are today at the time. A great example of this would be Lanny, our GD department head and professor of the computer apps class. He has previously taught everything from pottery to jewelry making even though neither of those things are remotely his specialty.

So I digress. It seems that no one here can keep themselves in a straight line, and I'm coming to realize that that's probably how life works, a series of happy accidents and chance encounters leads you to where you need to be. Working hard will get you there, aside from that there's not much else you can do. With this new found enlightenment, I made my book. A different book than I had originally intended, but a much better one. And back to the Spouted Kitchen link, what a lovely story. I love the idea of making every year the best year of your life. Perhaps it is time I start thinking about things that way, and what about you? I leave the art school today feeling lighter, thank you Italy.

Some teasers from the latest book, where I (a career expert obvi) dispense ill-fated career advice to you, the eager reader. Don't be too quick to judge, this advice has obviously worked for some.

Sample Page




Cover Design
href="https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjCZOzW-5QrQ4UUPWkiEc79GZW2E7J5803V5amsb6vf2XjlVnSffLQb3mnl21uGPTRIxyMVAk0M_RJuRUPROFO7nRZ1tnFCpI4bRTtBzP4hcLN2BeyI_E7yOED9TSnr_mY972TYVG4gh_E/s1600/careerbook.jpg">

0 comments:

Leave Comments Here

About This Blog

Followers